Saturday, June 27, 2015

The ITC Meeting

The meeting went well. It was above my low expectations but a bit below high hopes. It was real which perhaps neither of those quite were. I do have the verbal support of the current Committee and a stronger verbal support from two members with whom I spoke at a little more length. Aaron Burmeister is a musher and also this current board's treasurer. I admire him and told him so. He was mentioned a time or two in my blog posts while the race was going on this year. He was very enthused about the book and said it was a worthwhile and beneficial project. Dan Sievert, current VP and chair of today's meeting, may not be a musher, at least recently but is a canny business man and a strong supporter and something of a guiding light for the committee and the race. He too was supportive.
Last year shot; Teal shirt this time!

There were not a lot of mushers hanging around. I was told that Deedee was there but did not manage to catch up with her and apparently she did not stay long. It was the first day for mushers to sign up for the 2016 race and it appears she did so--what a gutsy, amazing lady!! I guess I should have called her but I hated to bother her under the circumstances. I may try once before I leave. I met a couple of ladies I had not met before; one who will still be a rookie next year since her dogs were not able to handle the extreme cold as she lives near Wasilla and had trained mostly with wheels instead of sled.She scratched fairly early. Of course everyone is hoping for good snow and a return to the traditional trail the next race but only time and nature will determine that.

There seems to  have been  eleven mushers or kennels impacted by the Sockeye fire but other fires threaten many areas to include check point villages and mushers on the Kenai and now a fire up not far from the Two River area outside Fairbanks. For now the committee recommends the Willow Musher's site for donations from "outside" (not Alaska) which I posted here and on my Facebook page with an update there today. They have raised about 29 thousand so far.

I'm still decompressing so will add more later, No pix--sorry. My bad. It was just too hectic and I was focused on more critical --at least to me!--things at the time. But again, I will be back and another time will happen.

Aliy and Allen were not there; Lance Mackey was not there and many others. Dallas Seavey was but I am not really too concerned with him at this point, winner or not. I did not particularly want his autograph. No further comment! Rick Swenson, the only five time winner ever, was elected to the board. I missed him sad to say but would have enjoyed his autograph or a selfie with! Someday maybe.
Most of the lawn was full of people,
canopies and confusion yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.