Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Sockeye (Willow) fire update

The fire is being contained but an estimated 50-100 structures, many homes, have burned. The horrible thing is it is probably a human caused fire! This makes me sick and mad.

It is true that Deedee Jonrowe lost her home and almost everything. She was at Martin Buser's doing a "show and tell" for a big batch of tourists when word came of the fire. She and Mrs. Buser made a frantic run with dog trucks 45 miles north to Deedee's home and barely were able to load the dogs and run for their lives, literally. I do not know the situation of several other mushers yet but I am weeping for Deedee. She is such a wonderful, courageous and inspiring woman and a true heroine of mine She ran her 30th race this past spring with frostbitten hands and brought fifteen of sixteen entered dogs across the finish line at Nome. Now all her gear, sleds and mementos are ash and she barely has the clothes on her back. Thank God though that she did save all but one old dog. This is so darn wrong it tears me up. I know she is religious so I am praying very hard that she will have help and did have insurance on her home. She's a survivor but this is a cruel blow.

There are sites already up and running for donations. I posted one and a link to a post about this from the Iditarod Trail Committee's page on my Facebook page.  You can click over to them to learn more. Here's my site:  https://www.facebook.com/gwynn.morgan

And here is a picture of Deedee, in her trademark pink at Nome finishing her 30th race. This petite cancer survivor is a true HERO if there ever was one. God be with her now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.