Thursday, June 25, 2015

Quake

The epicenter was west of the burned over Willow and it was 5.5 there, maybe 4.5 or a bit more here. I shook my head at that news--fire, earthquake... What next? Pestilence or flood perhaps. Yikes. Poor Willow-ans.

The small irony is that before I left home I was reading Degrees of Separation by Alaska based author Sue Henry. Earthquakes were a feature in that tale. She also wrote Murder on the Iditarod (I think her first book) and Murder on the Yukon Quest. Both were very good in portrayal of the races and a competitor's pov since one of her protagonists is a professional racer(female) named Jessie Arnold --almost a clairvoyant preview of today's Jessie Royer, 4th this year--and the other an Alaskan trooper with whom the racer is in a relationship by the end of book 1. Ms Henry is a good author and portrayer of Alaska or perhaps was since she seems to have vanished on the Internet and may be incapacitated or have passed away.

I spent some time in the main Anchorage public library today. They have a good collection of "Alaskana" to include a fair bit on the Iditarod but none of the newer race yearbooks I was hoping to scan and extract data from but all is not lost. I took some notes from several other books and have a list of titles to buy or seek through interlibrary loan facilites when I get home. I also took two shots of an amazing and gorgeous bit of fabric art hanging over the main foyer. It is almost a sculpture since it is somewhat dimensional. I want to clean up the pix before posting but will share soon. Still looking ahead to Saturday with high hopes--the real pinnacle of this trip. It has been warm so far but a bit cooler today with a high in the lower 70s. Mostly overcast also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.