Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Going Back!

Three weeks from today I will be back in Alaska. I can hardly wait. By wonderful serendipity I planned this short trip to set some things up for a longer visit in the fall at exactly the right time. The Iditarod Trail Committee has their annual meeting on Saturday, June 27 which will be smack in the middle of my visit! I have already asked for a very short spot on the agenda to tell them about my project and hope that I will be allowed to do so although the annual election for board members is the main order of business. I am also hoping some of my key mushers will be in attendance and I can talk with them at least briefly. Other than that some odds and ends which I will talk more about later.

Again I am flying mostly at night from El Paso to Phoenix to Anchorage and back the same route. The powers that be smiled on me and I do not have to go through either LAX or DFW which are two of my least favorite airports--just too humongous and confusing and smoggy. I do have layovers in Phoenix but I can deal with that. It also means I won't have the horrid mad dash to catch the Phoenix to Anchorage flight that I just squeaked aboard last time by the skin of my teeth so to speak, It is hard to run with your stuff--thank goodness I had checked my large bag--and pray like crazy to the deities of travel that you make it. Is it St Christopher? I do believe it is--the one who is the patron and protector of travelers. Anyway I did make it but that was tooooo close!

Here's a shot from the Anchorage Airport last August, I will be there on June
24th at o-dark-thirty but it won't be very dark since that is only three days after the longest day of the year. Anchorage is not quite in the 'midnight sun' longitude but it will be almost light enough to read at 12:30 a.m. I am sure. My host for this trip says it is already close to that. Anyway I promise as many reports and also photos as I can share for the week I am there and then building up to a much longer visit in the fall before real winter sets in but after the training is underway for the 2015-16 racing season. And my goal is still to be there for at least part of the 2016 races. Say a prayer or two for me please and if you can add a few dollars over on my go fund me page to help me get there! That's at https://funds.gofundme.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.