Thursday, April 28, 2016

Serious Matters

          I need to add a caveat to the following, post,  a bit after the fact. My comments are based strictly on what has been aired on various media and I think most of us realize that they are more interested in selling papers, getting viewers and providing  a certain level of sensationalism. As with almost everything, there are two sides to every story and usually the truth falls into a gap somewhere  between. Perhaps the young man's story deserves a hearing as well. While physical abuse is almost never justified unless truly from fear of death--like the use of deadly force guidelines-- abuse in relationships can and does go both ways at times Most of us have been guilty at times of behaving in a manner provocative and abrasive to  those around us. Did we "deserve" then to be beaten or have our things trashed? Probably not, but perhaps none of us can fairly cast the first stone, especially if the whole story is not heard.  And I did not intend to do so. See new post for further outcome on this situation.

             There is a lot of discussion in some circles and it will soon become even more public, I imagine. I have hesitated to mention it here but it is relevant to my topic of the Iditarod and women participating in it, so I will go into it but try to tread lightly.
Two mushers who are partners and supposedly engaged but not married have had problems for some time and it is now coming to light. In 2015, he broke her arm in an altercation and was placed on probation for it. This year additional domestic violence occurred in which she was thrown out of the cabin after being beaten up and left in 10 degree temperatures and some of her possessions were damaged or destroyed. (I may have some of the issues mixed as reports are not always clear but all this occurred) This event has resulted in charges but it has not yet come to trial.  However, despite the prior apparent conviction, although it was treated as a misdemeanor, both competed in the 2016 race and the ITC Board and officials denied any knowledge of the matter. But we all know that all court proceedings except those involving juveniles are public records and can be reviewed freely.
Like substance abuse, domestic violence, especially against women and children, is a serious, no, a huge issue in Alaska just as it is in the lower forty-eight. The general opinion in this case seems to be that it must not be swept under the rug and treated lightly.
Apparently the female musher, like many women, had been reluctant to press charges and probably lose her investment in gear, dog team and other valuable property the pair has jointly accumulated and developed. Perhaps she now actually fears for her life and must move forward in this. It seems that so often it is the woman who must escape, if she can, with little more than the clothes on her back. In Alaska that can be a pretty grim fate, especially in the winter. This woman also has a lifelong dream of becoming a successful long distance racer; she seemed to  believe she had found the way to do it, but at how great a price?
I know she withdrew last year not too long before the race. Likely it was because of the aforementioned broken arm. At the time I had no clue of this, of course. Clearly very few did. Well, you can hardly manage a sled and a team in a cast. This year she did complete the race as a rookie and I was happy for her until I learned of all these problems. I would counsel her to find and team up with another female racer—say Ryne Olson or one of the others or a reliable and respected couple --and work with them. Hopefully if she leaves her abuser, she will be able to keep or take away some of the dogs and gear but if not, they can be replaced. One’s life and physical health cannot be.
            While I am all in favor of sacrifice, determination and sticking through tough situations, there is a limit. I was never physically abused although I did suffer verbal abuse and a very restricted life as a teenager but once I was an adult and on my own, I vowed no person would ever abuse or intimidate me. I would never stay with a partner who hit me—not even once. And I have not. I think if this woman can get out of this bad situation, other women will step up to help her and she can come through it and triumph in the end. I would certainly hope and pray for such an outcome. All the women racers and kennel mangers I have met or contacted seem to be honorable and caring people.
Meanwhile at their meeting on Saturday, April 29, the ITC board will be discussing the issues of what bad behavior or criminal convictions should be grounds for barring a racer from competition and whether for one race, several or for life. They will also revisit a “code of conduct” which was established last year but seems to center more around never permitting a competitor to ‘bad mouth’ or criticize the race or talk out of school about internal problems. It has been called a “gag order” by a number of apparently disgusted people, to include some mushers, I believe. There is also the fact that all qualification and conduct issues have been left to the judgment of a single individual. Many feel, and I agree, that it too much to leave in one person’s hands and there should at least be an internal committee or board of ‘judges’ for want of a better term to deal with these problems collectively. I would love to be at that meeting but hope to get some information on the proceedings from a friend who will be there.

A final thought, elections of two new ITC board members will be coming up soon with the results of the vote to be announced at the June meeting which I plan to attend.  I for one, and I think many others agree, would like to see more women on the ITC Board of Directors. I am in no position nor qualified to run but I know of a few who perhaps could and should. Put a bug in their ears? I am not sure I can but I will try. And if any females wind up on the ballot, they are almost sure to get my vote unless they are grossly unqualified or damned by their own statements.  I did recently vote for the US portion of the YQ Board, and my vote did go to the woman, a veterinarian, who seemed like an excellent choice. With close to a third of this year’s racers being female, it certainly seems reasonable and fair to have the feminine side represented and advocated for so the ITC does not become—or some say continue to be—just a good ole boys club!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.