Friday, April 29, 2016

Serious matters Part 2

The ITC Board did meet today and it appears most of the major business was dealt with in a closed executive session, no surprise. At least one good thing--or I would say apparently a good thing--came out of it. They did address in general the issue of domestic violence and have banned the young man from the 2017 race and indefinitely with reinstatement depending on his completion of court ordered rehabilitation and of course no further bad behavior of this kind. That seems fair. Whether any consequences will impact the woman involved, I have no idea. I really would hope he goes to some kind of rehab and she takes herself out of the situation, hopefully with the dogs she has worked with the most and her personal basic gear. Time will tell.

I will be a little catty and call the ITC's formal statement a bit after the fact and giving some appearance of a CYA action but they did do it and it appears to have some teeth. A special committee will be working to review the code of conduct, or so it appears, and perhaps bring it a bit further into the twenty-first century. While Alaska may fairly bill itself the last frontier, there are now too many people in the state and too many modern influences to proceed like it was '99--not 1999 but 1899!!

I have to admit I hope they do not go too far and tangle everyone up with rules and codes and regulations and standards out the gazoo!. It really isn't possible to mandate or legislate ethics, morality and human nature beyond a very basic degree. I am an individualist and libertarian but I have to accept that my right to swing my fist or my foot ends somewhat short of your nose or shins. Really the Golden Rule covers most of these kinds of issues very well. Don't do anything to anyone else that you would not want happening to you. Now just to put that into practice.

You can get to and read the ITC Statement from my Facebook page should you wish to do so. I am not going to attempt to post it here but it is a public document now and as such in the public domain. .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.