Friday, January 29, 2016

Still hard times and more

Thus far, Nikolai Buser has had six surgeries and it looking at many more. It was nearly a Humpty Dumpty type situation and he is very lucky to still be alive, even if in very serious shape. I'm still praying he will make it and not be totally disabled.

Meanwhile I just found out that Deedee Jonrowe is struggling to get the funds together to make her 33rd run of the Iditarod. As you know she lost everything but her truck and her dogs in the June fire. Then she lost her primary sponsor. Shell Oil has completely pulled out of Alaska due to environmental issues and the collapse of the oil price structure. I expect they could afford to contribute to a long term musher but they would not choose to do so when the company is no longer in Alaska and is taking some losses now..

So imagine trying to assemble all the expensive gear required for the race, get the dog food and other supplies and have them shipped out to the check points, arrange for transportation of the dogs to Anchorage and home from Nome and a thousand other odds and ends at the same time you are trying to rebuild a home and replace all of the household goods and personal possessions in a total new start effort. Deedee is one of the bravest and strongest ladies I ever knew but no body can do everything all by themselves. She has a go fund me site--I think someone else set it up for her--called Deedeetonome and I have pitched in all I could afford and am trying to publicize it as widely as I can. I just hope and pray she can make it.

So that's the latest from Alaska and the mushing community that I have come across. Counting down now until the Yukon Quest start next Saturday--OMG, just a week to go! So far, fingers crossed and knocking on wood, the folks at SPK are well, dogs also, and their sponsors are in good shape. I wish them both a fantastic race!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.