Friday, February 20, 2015

Iditarod Fairbanks Start

I promised to research this. In doing so, I found  the move is much more rare than I had realized. It only happened once before, in 2003. Following an article from the Anchorage paper's on line edition, I read some snide comments by various armchair quarterbacks who have lots of "opinions" (mostly not based on fact or concern for the welfare of the dogs and their drivers!) Most I would take with a grain of salt. They do not seem to know jack about the real race.

There were more of the same by  global warming fanatics and that ilk. Really, what relevance does fossil fuel use --or limitation--have on the lives of racing sled dogs and this most prestigious race?? Please, take your dang soapbox somewhere else and leave this arena alone. No, I am not going there. I do not question that there are climate changes although I may question the proclaimed causes--which I am pretty sure are a lot broader and more complex than popular opinion tends to credit --but that political type discussion does not belong here. I will say no more nor accept any comments about it unless they clearly tie directly to the race issues. There is not enough snow; the temperatures have varied wildly this winter. Enough said. Too bad they cannot run in Massachusetts!

At any rate, the entire current ITC voted unanimously to move the race. That is good enough for me. The board consists of experienced mushers and people with long association with the race who flew out to look at the trail including the notorious Dalzell Gorge and Farewell Burn areas and pronounced them impassible. Sled dogs have to have snow; well, the sleds especially as the dogs can run on bare ground, of course!

Like the committee, I feel  we do not need to potentially kill or maim dogs and mushers out of some stubborn adherence to tradition or the financial concerns of certain villages and checkpoints on the normal trail. I think even the late great Joe Reddington would go along with that, may he RIP. The Committee announced the change now so the logistics could be managed and everything made ready for the official start on March 9 in Fairbanks. There is trail marking and some grooming, checkpoints to be set up, musher drop bags to be distributed and so on. It's a big, no a huge, logistical job. I for one applaud their decision and will definitely not try to second guess them.

It is going to make for a different and interesting race I am sure. Good mushers and good teams will do well as they always do. Perhaps without the terrible conditions of the last two runs to contend with, even the rookies and those who do not try to win but merely run for the adventure and experience will fare better as well. There will still be hard areas, ice, weather and all the normal issues to contend with. I'm sure it will not be a sissy race! It never is and pray never becomes so. If there is ever a 1000 mile paved and plowed road for the trail, I will lose interest fast!

Anyway that's the facts, ma'am, as far as the northern start goes. I think I got my data from reliable sources and I have no complaints. The race will head off in the opposite direction--south and west--from that which the Yukon Quest follows--out in even years and in for odd ones, like this year, on the Chena River. The Iditarod will follow the Tenana River for the initial route. The influx of visitors will be a boost for Fairbanks' economy, at least. Oh darn, but I want to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.