Friday, September 15, 2017

A Quick Update

I did not get to make my usual June trip to the North 49th this year and there was not much to say here. The efforts on Women Who Run With the Dogs move on slowly. Right now I feel like I am on that very long and cold stretch along the Yukon when it is -50 or maybe over that treacherous highest summit on the Yukon Quest--head down and hood forward, plodding and wondering when it will ever end as my dogs strain into the harness and fight inch by inch into the wind.

Yes, as time goes by I realize just what a humongous project I have taken on, perhaps a much bigger bite than I can properly chew, but I still intend to musher up and press on. A year ago I was almost ready to depart for my great stay at Slow Rush Kennels just out of Fairbanks. That still remains a stellar experience and a great source of much needed reality with boots to the ground (not much snow yet) behind the dogs and in the muck of the dog yard!

From her FB page I know Kyia Bouchard has gotten her rustic camp B&B up and running and I am very glad to learn that. She has gone through many tough times but that lady is a fighter and a survivor--in her way an epitome of what I see in most of the women mushers I've become acquainted with. Here is a link to Kyia's page--https://www.facebook.com/slowrushmountainview/?fref=tsit
It is not real busy but interesting. Below is an aerial view of the site. The slant roof behind a big evergreen in the middle right is the handler's cabin where I stayed; I see lots of changes since then in this shot. I did help clear the flats for the white tents you can see, so I have a tiny stake in this new project.  I may well return there in time.

More soon on what is going on with some of the mushers and looking ahead to the 2017-18 racing season. I do plan to be a volunteer again next spring; I was hoping to try to make it to Nome but it is getting almost too late to attempt that now so we'll see. But I can't resist the lure of the magical mythical north and those dogs...! Like the general said, in the Philippines as I recall, "I shall return."
About half of this desert rat is a born again Alaskan!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.