Saturday, July 2, 2016

More on the ITC Day

Of course they had a table set up right away for the musher registration, one of the big events going on. And I did hang around there quite a bit. I know there were some folks I wanted to meet and just missed chances. Everyone looks so different in summer clothes versus bundled up in "Eskimo" or Native style when they are racing. I did recognize and at least said hi to and in some cases snapped a photo of several.

One was Nik Petit who has run at least four Iditarods. He is one of the imports and grew up in Normandy; shoot, I should have asked if he knew of the Breton music group, Tri Yann. He had one of his leaders with him, a beautiful and gentle girl he calls Lolly who although free was never more than a few feet from him. She even likes to be a  lap dog!


Anna Berrington was there, a big lanky gal with a long blonde braid, one of the "Seeing Double" twin sisters who makes the news for being the only twins who race together. Her sister Kristy was off at her summer work. She had people all around her constantly but I did say hi and got a photo. About then came lunch which was delish--the 200 pounds of salmon on the grill that Mr Seybert always has flown in from his fishing crew at Bristol Bay was to die for! I had a big chunk and could have left the hot dog, beans and such for more but it went fast.

More mushers appeared after that. I watched Cindy Abbot sign in with her mentor beside her. her hubby is off climbing to add a few more summits to his list. Anyway i shook her hand and said I was so happy for her finish in 2015. She tried several times but got the Red Lantern that year and will no longer be a rookie. As far as I know she is the only person who has scaled Everest and also completed the Iditarod. Since she has a rare disease for which she is a very active poster gal, that is very impressive. She won one of the two free entries this time also. Must have been her lucky day as she also won some donated dog gear.
Cindy Abbott-in green shirt

Martin Buser was there--a charmer and a fun guy. I asked him about his son Nik who has made an amazing recovery from his terrible auto crash last February and is now home. They say he was dancing at their Solstice Party the previous weekend.

And then suddenly there was Deedee Jonrowe and also Aliy Z! I made a beeline for Deedee and gave her the long delayed hug. She thanked me for the small quilt I sent last year and we chatted briefly but she knows everyone and fluttered around like a hummingbird to see them all. I think this next will be her 33rd start!? So next I caught Aliy and talked briefly about her Ginger. She says they've been running her in lead a little bit in some mild summer type training runs and she is shaping up very well. I do think the Surfivers will be leaving a mark on the SPK teams in the coming years. Their mama Chica has retired but she, Quito and Olivia have whelped 3/4 of the current dogs or more! Grande dames indeed.

A bit later I saw the two of them talking and went over to get a picture. One of the teachers--the day also honors the past and next "Teacher on the Trail" women and local area teachers who come--had a friend take her photo with the two of them and I got brave enough to ask the same gal to take one for me! So there I was between two of my all time greatest heroines, as thrilled as if it were any rock or sports star or celebs you can imagine.  You can bet that is one of my favorite photos ever and I even managed a decent smile LOL. I'll print an 8x10 to frame and hang for inspiration.

If you look at the lower right corner of the pic with Deedee and Aliy you will see an Aussie. He was with a guy riding a motorcycle and when they left was up in his little seat behind the driver with goggles and  headphone style ear gear! I wish I had gotten that on film! I did go by and scratch his ears. Still love my Aussies even if Huskies are a current focus.

Wandering around some more I saw a woman and heard people call her "Jan." On a hunch I went up and introduced myself and asked if she was Jan Steves. Indeed she was and we had a lovely talk. She had a terrible accident this past race, about three checkpoints in and had to scratch. A rope came loose on her sled and tangled around a runner, ripped off the plastic insert and flipped the sled--and her--smash onto ice and rock. She had broken ribs, a broken collar bone, punctured lung and other injuries but went on for a bit to the next checkpoint. Trying to change booties on her dogs she realized she was one hurt puppy and ended up being med-evaced. The upshot was I was invited to come visit at the kennel she shares with her partner Bob Chlupach out at Willow. They were among those burned out but are rebuilding. He no longer races but still has about twenty dogs and mentors other younger racers, an awesome guy. More on them a later installment.

In short, it was a very good day and I felt I made some significant progress on my project and plans for a stay in Willow area when fall training time rolls around. I will also plan to be up there next March with a volunteer job to do (while I follow Aliy in a win--thinking positive!!) Hopefully I can crash with Bill, Svetla or maybe Helen--who you will meet in further reports-- if need-be. Hike, hike!! We are off to the next checkpoint, running good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post. All will be moderated so as to prevent spam and any flaming or inappropriate comments but friends and visitors are welcome to have their say! I value your input very much.